Thursday, January 16, 2014

Movie Review #53 American Hustle (2013)

- Who hustles and who gets hustled?

The deal is, I'm going to be watching movies from now till Oscar time. The movies I'll be reviewing will be the ones nominated in the Best Picture category, though with a bit of luck I'll review some films that are just up for other Oscars. Maybe. So I'll be doing 9 reviews for sure prior to March 3rd - Oscars night, and one more to make the even 10. Other than that it'll be hit or miss for other nominated movies, but I'd like to touch one at least one animated film just to spice things up, and maybe a foreign film, as one of my favourite film reviews on this blog was the foreign film Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (aka: A Separation (2011)). Whatever happens, here is your first review of 2014 and the Oscar nominated American Hustle (2013).

I really enjoyed this movie, though there is quite an understanding that the movie just isn't for everyone. It's probably why it won't win best picture, even though it is my opinion it is a great movie. While there is a broad spectrum of emotions throughout the movie, it is at the core just a con-man style movie. There isn't any deep emotional connection to be had here between the movie and the viewer. I had fun with the movie. The movie was sexy and sleek and full of the 70s. It'll easily get some of the actor and actress awards. Certainly not a clean sweep of the four, but Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence have solid performances through the entirety.

The movie reeks of 70s. This is something of note as I'm a person born in the 80s. Whenever I watch a movie that is set in the 70s, I look at it with wide eyes, as I'll never experience it. One can always imagine, but never live the past before them. The suits, the hair, even the hotel room walls and the bars. They are all what I have been fed in movies and other forms of media, so at least I can say I feel as if they got it right compared to other media I've been exposed to. The location and theme of this movie is thankfully full of amazing acting and a solid script pulled off by a director (David O. Russell) who knows how to get the very best from his actors/actress'.

An all-star cast, no doubt.
The movie starts with an almost indistinguishable Christian Bale. We watch as he meticulously attaches his wig to his head with glue and precision. This short sequence teaches us quickly about his character Irving Rosenfeld. He pretends he has hair and he has a very specific order to how he conducts himself. We hear a radio in the background but otherwise the scene is silent, we watch Irving do his thing and learn so much in silence. It's great when one can learn so much without a word. It's a scene that sticks out to me, it's something you never see in films. You always see the gag where the wig gets taken off, but never the time and effort being put into putting it on. It's new, without really being new at all. But I don't want to spend too much time on just the opening minute. We are shortly introduced to the other main characters Richie DiMaso (played by Bradley Cooper) and Sydney Prosser (played by Amy Adams) These two are very recognizable, even though Cooper has some short curled hair, it's nothing as drastic as Bale's character (nothing surprising of course, Bale has always gone to extremes). The movie gives us, slowly yet surely all the pieces that is needed for a con-man movie with the addition of Mayor Carmine Polito (played by Jeremy Renner) and Rosalyn (played by Jennifer Lawrence). Renner is probably the weakest link in the acting, though not so much as it's his fault as his character doesn't get a lot of screen time and isn't allowed to grow on screen, like Bale or Lawrence. Lawrence has quite some strong scenes where she steals the sequence away from her co-stars, most notably her bathroom talk with Amy Adams and her microwave fire conversation. I think as a whole I liked the story, but loved small scenes within the movie.

the aforementioned bathroom talk

The story while fun, is seemingly just that, it's just fun. I wasn't really connected to any character and certainly didn't feel any relation towards the plight that anyone felt. It's a con-man, hustle, heist type movie. It's not for everyone, and doesn't have the depth that I think a Best Picture needs to have. I like this movie, but for best picture I do not. I suggest if you like movies where characters lie, cheat and steal their way through life, American Hustle is probably a good movie to spend your time, just don't expect a grand journey!

I give it a 8/10


PS: I'm not sure if I liked Louis CK or Robert De Niro guest roles better.

1 comment:

  1. Everybody was a blast to watch here, but mainly Cooper and Lawrence, who always brought the film's energy up whenever they did something. Anything, actually. Good review Adam.

    ReplyDelete