Thursday, November 8, 2012

Movie Review #35 Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

- Childlike and maturely romantic

Although I caught this movie a few months back, it sort of got pushed to the side for reviews of other things, but since I had a bit of a lull before the upcoming November movies really get rolling, I decided to review this now. Like so many artistic and arguably misunderstood directors and writers, I had not seen a Wes Anderson movie so, thankfully, I was going into the unknown. Something I prefer to do when going into all movies (though obviously incapable of doing so for so many) I never looked at the cast, nor did I know the genre. All I knew was that it was made by “the guy” who did The Royal Tenenbaums. So really when you look at the title Moonrise Kingdom, you can't blame me for thinking I might be getting a fantasy movie. While there certainly are small parts that could be called fantasy, it is hardly that. In any case, I digress.

The movie begins with a meteorologist giving a warning of an impending hurricane, the audience is introduced to some children, a girl in a quirky family home and a Scouts troop that is run by Scout Master Ward (played by Edward Norton). You won't know how these three things are connected for a little while, but eventually they intertwine and you are left with one story line. Two children meet and a connection is formed. You watch it blossom along with quite a bit of foreshadowing from the narrator (played by Bob Balaban). The metaphor between the storm and the rest of the story is interesting if not a bit cliché.

A child's love as shown akin to lovestruck teens or young adults may throw people for a loop. I certainly have heard ridiculous cries that the director Wes Anderson is a pedophile because of this movie which is silly: art and the creator are not strictly related and even then, within this movie it is all done between two consenting children, so the term of pedophilia is actually incorrect. There is no child nudity in this movie and the sex is only implied between the two kids. I mention this right away as it's one of the larger complaints I've heard about the movie and I feel pretty strongly that this movie does not hold some pro-pedophilia agenda. The second thing in this movie that may get you is an animal gets viciously killed and while you don't see the act, the scene sticks out as just that extra little push to the bounds of necessity. Someone gets stabbed in the kidneys, and I think most of the audience got the message, the dog stabbing was really just overkill, pardon the pun.

The real class of this movie is seen by the actors' performances and the overall arcing story of the two children Sam (played by Jared Gilman) and Suzy (played by Kara Hayward). I found pieces of their story to be weak but the overall sense to be quite grand and heartfelt. Bruce Willis' character also caught my eye as a loving man just trying to do his best in the small village, this was good acting on his part since his usual roles are sci-fi and action. I feel you get to see the real acting of an actor when they break out of their type-cast shell. Willis is mostly known for his action movies and actors don't get to do much but walk away from explosions and deliver one-liners (not that there is anything wrong with that) but not a lot of action movies are known for getting Best Actor awards in any ceremony.

Every scout troop requires a nail bat.
I really enjoyed the story of Moonrise Kingdom and had a great laugh at the almost omniscient narrator/character of Bob Balaban. The love story may be awkward to some, but I felt it was shown intellectually and not in some grotesque love story way. I'll admit the animal sequence was a bit much but it is brief and shouldn't detract from the movie too much.

I give it a 8/10

PS: The explosion looked ridiculous along with Edward Norton's flying jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment