Thursday, June 21, 2012

Movie Review #15 Super 8 (2011)

- Abrams joins with Spielberg for some on-screen magic

Super 8 was one of those movies that just didn't really grab me and demand my immediate attention mostly due to the fact I'm not really the target audience any longer. But I watched it anyway because really I'm a kid at heart and I don't really know when to say no to a movie. I went in knowing there were a bunch of kids and they were going to have an adventure and there was going to be an unseen thing that might send chills down our backs if we had a weak fortitude.

I'm going to say right away that J.J. Abrams is totally a hit or miss when he delivers something to me. I thought Cloverfield was a waste of time mostly because I was promised an American Godzilla-like franchise and nothing in that movie was remotely enjoyable like any of the original Godzilla movies of old. I also wanted to punch most of the cast and not to mention the shaky cam, but I digress. For me, the point was whether or not Spielberg could help sway Abrams back into the black.


I can say yes, but (and there is always a but), I really feel that if this was just a Spielberg movie the adventure would have been more enjoyable. I'd rather not give away too much but for too long you live in this mystery of what it is and it is borderline interesting but as soon as it is all revealed (more or less in the middle of the movie), I just wanted to see the zombie movie the kids were making and I in no way cared about the main story.

The movie opens with a steel mill taking down their sign of Accident free for 753 days and putting up the lonely 1. So right off the bat we know someone had an accident and quickly you find out that it was a woman and that everyone blames this drunk fool. For quite some time you are led to believe that this is a rather important piece of information that everyone in the movie knows (except for the main character). When it's finally revealed, however, it's a large letdown, which is similar to the big picture storyline, to be honest. The movie is truly the definition of “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts”. Actually, some small parts really make the movie. The entire sequence of events that lead them to a train station to make a movie is rich with realistic portrayal of children's enthusiastic behaviour coupled with their non-existent mortality and of course their desire for the unknown. The generously “borrowed” car feeds the first taste of their own mortality and their hopes of filming the greatest movie ever created.

We're acting!
There are also some pretty humorous lines throughout the movie, such as “Production value!” being screamed by the want-to-be director a couple of times; a lot of the lines from their fake movie are gold, although the best line might be when the old timer sheriff talks about the slippery slope. I thought the writing was solid surrounding any kind of character development sequences. It certainly helped a lot of the kids seem to come to life along with most of the supporting characters.

I couldn't help but really enjoy seeing the aspirations of these children trying to make a movie for a big contest. All the stereotypical characters were in the group and they were all acted amazingly actually. I thought this may have contained the best set of child actors I've seen in a movie, especially considering the movie is mostly made up of children. The characters of Joe Lamb, Cary and Alice Dainard (played by Joel Courtney, Ryan Lee and Elle Fanning respectively) were absolute gems. Special props goes to the writers for writing in Cary with his obsession with pyrotechnics. Everyone knew someone like this as a kid – I sure did so I was glad to see it represented on screen. I believe Elle Fanning stole the show, however, though not having as much screen time as others and having to live in the shadow of Dakota. After watching her in Super 8, I'd have to believe that the shadow is rather diminished by now (especially since Dakota is now soaked up in the Twilight saga).

The movie is not without its problems. It didn't bring anything new to the table; The Goonies and ET are solid examples of movies it wants to be, and the argument can be made that they did it better and 25+ years ago, but for a new generation this could be their movie they talk about in 25 years as the great kids adventure movie.

I gave it a 7/10

PS: The ending credits gave me what I truly wanted. If I knew, I would have gone to theatres to see that alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment