Thursday, June 7, 2012

Movie Review #13 Iron Sky (2012)

 - When you know you're bad, you're good.

Today I've decided to review something a little different.  Iron Sky is not your regular theatre going movie unless you frequent movies that contain Nazis AND they've lived on the moon for the past 60 years.  If you do, could you send me the titles of the movies because honestly I believed this to be the first Moon Nazi film.  Going on that belief, this is the best Moon Nazi movie in existence and  here's the reason why.


The movie is full of racist and crude jokes, many of which could offend you or just fall flat in general. I believe the director/writers aren't really going for attacks against any one group but are genuinely doing it just for the joke of it all.  It is about Nazis who have lived on the moon for 60 years with no interaction with Earth.  They shouldn't have any resources; but here they are, existing on the moon and we are to believe they got to where they are because we are seeing them now.  The movie explains nothing.  Your suspension of disbelief is going to have to be high for this one as it will be tested throughout the movie quite a bit.  This isn't a movie to take seriously, it doesn't so why should you? With all the moments of ridiculous action and other sequences you just have to let go and enjoy the ride because Moon Nazis just won't stop.  I know I've lost a few of you already but for those still with us, keep reading if you're still on the fence.


I caught a few throwbacks to more serious films, most importantly, of course, “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb” and quite a few references to “The Great Dictator”, as the Moon Nazis got an edited version and think that Hitler was a nice chap and loved in the film. I thought most of the references were pretty funny. Great Dictator was actually used as a great plot piece. As an interesting history note Hitler himself was rumoured to have watched the movie and Chaplin is quoted as really wanting to know what Hitler thought. Alas, Hitler's watching the movie was never proved and if he did, his comments on the matter were never recorded. Anyway...


The movie isn't good in any kind of respective fashion.  It has no artistic qualities, so why do I like it then?  It's a dumb as they come comedy that kept me entertained when I wanted nothing more to do than not think about anything around me.  It cleared my mind of the last movie I watched (Chronicle) and honestly I'm glad I watched it when I did.  It gave me some positive things to talk about after watching that wretched flick.


Clearly Moon Nazis.
Iron Sky is 93 minutes long and I was laughing just about every two of three scenes.  I didn't really like any one performance over another though.  Nobody stood out as lead comedian within the movie. One of the main characters, James Washington (played by Christopher Kirby) was the weakest in terms of jokes. He was the “I'm a black man hated by Nazis” character, so as you can imagine, racist jokes abound.  All the Nazis make fun of each other, but the jokes around President Palin (played by Stephanie Paul) were pretty funny.  By the way, she is never named Palin, but the audience is led to believe this  through the uncanny resemblance and similarities and maybe just maybe there is an ounce of truth of what happens behind closed doors? (no).  My favourite character was Renate Richter (played by the beautiful Julia Dietze). Something about her eyes really caught me, a scene stealer for those who are just looking to oogle someone.


This movie hails a 6/10.


PS: B-rated.  This shouldn't be compared to full Hollywood and/or artistic movies.  Don't compare it to Casablanca!

2 comments:

  1. so I kinda want to see this now :) is it Bird-friendly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If what I mentioned doesn't put you off, it's probably ok for you!

    ReplyDelete