Thursday, September 13, 2012

Movie Review #27 Persona (1966)

- Playing with your mind for two hours

I'll admit that when I first sat down to watch Persona, I hadn't watched any Ingmar Bergman movies nor had I any idea who that was. So when I first sat down to watch Persona the only thing I knew was that it shared its name with a video game and that was all. So calling me an unknowing viewer was probably an understatement. Of course now, some two years later I have watched more Bergman movies due to again the IMDb Top 250 and have been ever so pleased with what I have seen from him. It is my opinion that Persona is the best work I have seen by him thus far (The Seventh Sign and Wild Strawberries).

There are a couple versions of Persona since its original release in 1966; the original and a 2004 remastered version are the more important ones, however, with more accurate subtitles (in the 2004 version) and a few uncut sequences in both. Included in the uncut version is the nudity shot in the original that, although brief, is symbolic. Along with that is a description of a rather risqué nature, in which age is of importance, which is also taken out in some versions. While it's still a noteworthy speech within the confines of the movie, adding in the ages makes it that much more questionable and thus gives better reason to impact the character. So keep that in mind if you have to watch the edited version.

After a rather strange prologue to the movie showing some bizarre imagery (including an erect penis should you have gotten any uncut version) you will find yourself finding out about a nurse, Sister Alma (played by Bibi Andersson) who has been given the instructions to take care of the self-imposed mute actress Elisabeth (played by Liv Ullmann). Alma keeps Elizabeth company, talks a lot to her patient and keeps the flow from dragging on for the most part. It's all quite the build-up for the later acts you see. Persona is a complicated movie. It's not that the dialogue is complicated or the story is told in a non-linear fashion like some other films. It is just that sometimes what you see really isn't what you are getting and one could be fooled long past the credits have ended their ascension. I could take up the entire blog for the remainder of the year to fully explain my thoughts on this movie or explain everything. I don't believe I can do it justice anyway, so go out and see it for yourself!

Persona only has five characters in the entire movie, most of which have only a few lines and in some cases aren't even on screen for more than twenty seconds. So it really is up to Andersson and Ullmann to properly carry the movie, which they do stunningly. Liv Ullmann playing a self-imposed mute does a wonderful job of emoting through her facial features while Bibi Andersson gets to talk quite a bit more and doesn't fall short on emotions.

This is what I call "judge-y eyes"
The story will leave you with questions all throughout the acts but as the final scenes transpire you'll find that all the pieces of the puzzle have just dropped in your lap and if you can put them all together you'll find out that you just watched one hell of a movie. I really liked some of the later sequences camera angles, it's certainly something to ponder after the fact, I'm still pretty impressed by the chilling shots late movie.

I give this movie a 9/10
IMDb user rating: 8.2/10 (28,054 Votes)

PS: The merging of two characters faces has been widely reproduced but never as convincingly.   

No comments:

Post a Comment