Thursday, August 30, 2012

Movie Review #25 The Expendables 2 (2012)

- The 80s action film will never die.

Prior to the first Expendables movie I was sure that I was in for a feast for my eyes, a collective hodgepodge of destruction and star power. What I got from the first one was a messy star-studded action film that came out with no memorable lines and only a few short action sequences that were above the normal. What could the sequel bring that the first didn't deliver on? I was going into this movie with tepid anticipation, to say the least. If you have read my other sequel based movie reviews, you'll notice that for me, bad movies spawn worse movies, but I always give a movie a chance or two (though sometimes years in between). In Expendables 2 I was promised more Bruce Willis, more Arnold Schwarzenegger and the addition of Jean-Claude Van Damme and Chuck Norris. Maybe with this boost in star power and the change of writers they'll nail this action extravaganza.

From the beginning, the audience is treated to an action sequence, quickly showing that the team is still at their run, gun and destroy everything in their way lifestyle. As far as run of the mill action goes, the intro wasn't a strong part of the movie, Jet Li's little close-quarter-combat sequence was probably the best. What was missing throughout the introduction was really hammed up cheesy lines, you know, the ones that stay with fans years after. Watch Commando, Die Hard, Predator or Rocky IV for great examples of what I'm talking about. Shortly after the re-introduction to Trench (played by Arnold) and before Church (played by Bruce Willis)'s re-introduction we do have a great line from newcomer to the action genre Liam Hemsworth (not to be confused with older brother Chris Hemsworth). He says he'll finish out the month before he gives up. A twist on the classic “I only got one month till retirement”. I die for that kind of cheese in my action. From this point onward in the movie the writing really shines in a lot of places. Chuck Norris, Arnold and Bruce all really shine within the movie and really bring the 80s back to the theatre.

I found in the first Expendables my problem was going in thinking it was a team movie, say like a super hero team movie, where everyone gets a back story, everyone plays an important part and together through teamwork they save the day. However, it was more of a Jason Statham and Sylvester Stallone saving the day while others were shown every so often, with the inclusion of the Jet Li/Dolph Lundgren fight for hilarity. Yet, on the other hand, in the sequel it seemed like none of the actors/characters had an overwhelming role. Stallone certainly takes up more screen time, but it is clear he is the leader and wait for it the hilarious line you'll see nowhere else. He is the brains of the operation. It's a team-based movie where while no one is highlighted specifically, together everyone shines together for a focused explosive movie.

Yes!
To summarize the movie is full of cheesy dialogue that might not be for some, but was certainly what I was looking for. The plot is terrible, but still more suitable than the first. It also has the greater return to action for Arnold, as he is a credited star and totally kills people in this one. As well it doesn't have a really weird heartfelt awkward scene with Micky Rourke. This is dumb 80s action for the next generation.

Looking through my long list of reviews private and public, this is certainly one of the stronger sequels to a film series and gives great hope to this series having longevity in the film world.

I gave this movie a 8/10

PS: I continue to think that Randy Couture and Terry Crews could be better utilized.

No comments:

Post a Comment