Thursday, July 12, 2012

Movie Review #18 Contagion (2011)

- We've run out natural disaster movies so let's drive disease movies into the ground!

If my memory serves me, this is the second Steven Soderbergh film I've reviewed. I didn't plan it, but hey, now he has a second chance to impress the readers of this blog. I've got to say that disaster movies, be it weather related or in this case, about disease, do not really interest me so the movies run along a thin line at the get-go. What interests me most is the post-apocalyptic after effects plot, the star studded cast and again, Soderbergh's directing does catch my eye (even if the last movie I watched of his was a disappointment). Contagion might not have the meat I'm looking for but there is surely enough to get me to watch it. So, on with the show.

Contagion's story overall story isn't complicated. There is a virus that has hit the human race, it has an incredibly short lifespan and it kills the infected person long before any virus has the right to do so. Through the movie, we follow the Centre for Disease Control (CDC) and its various levels of management, through two main characters: one character who has lost someone dear to him and a blogger who believes he is spreading the truth because he has all the answers. I promise I'm not as annoying as Alan Krumwiede (played by Jude Law) but I'm sure I know all the answers.

The cast for Contagion is large and with it some big name actors but I think a lot of the characters are wasted and pointless and sometimes both! Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence FishburneKate Winslet and the previously mentioned Jude Law, just to name some of the big names. None of the acting was bad, though for characters I only really cared for Matt Damon's last scenes. Jude Law is really the only one who really grabbed my attention, I hated his character. No death was vile enough for his character. His scenes were terrible as in I hate the kind of person he is and he delivers it perfectly.

However, I think the movie could have been improved with the exclusion of Law's character. It detracts from other story lines, although with him in the movie he provides an appropriate face to the villain instead of it being a faceless millions of people killing disease. Ultimately, for me that was a big distraction because you end up hating two really different things in this movie, the disease (which, let's face it, at the end of the day nobody wants any disease) and the blogger Jude Law who is much too smarmy for his own good. The other actors I mentioned are all acceptable but I feel as if there might have been a sequence deleted as Marion Cotillard's story is left a little unsatisfying. I suppose one can accept this due to her minor role within the movie but it might bother people who don't like loose ends in their movies no matter the calibre. The movie drops the ball on a few science facts, none of which I picked up on in my first viewing, but science folks might be bothered by it.

I deliver assumptions!

I really couldn't care about any character when they suffered a quick exit because you just don't care about anyone who dies – or really anyone who lives! I don't mind mindless death to prove a point, but when it's all mindless the weight of death is gone as in a zombie movie, nobody cares about the 100th zombie slaughtered do they? It's an interesting premise, albeit not new, but I couldn't really root for any of the “good” people and the loss of life was diminished by a lack of bonding between the viewer and any given character.

I give it a 6/10

PS: Marion Cotillard's eyes are really creepy. I think she can see my soul from within whatever film I watch her in.

No comments:

Post a Comment