Thursday, February 21, 2013

Movie Review #49 Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

- Down in the bayou fantasy and reality collide

I’ll start off by saying I’m doing a special three in three days review extravaganza to finish off the remaining films nominated for best film so stay tuned tomorrow and the next day for the final two film reviews.

I had heard quite a bit of positive buzz about the lead actress in Beasts of the Southern Wild before viewing the movie, although it’s hard to not have a lot of buzz when your lead role is a just a five year old child and whom is nominated for best lead actress. It’s not something that happens every year... or ever. As always I started this film with open arms hoping to be whisked away to a brand new fantasy. Perhaps I was too hopeful for a fantasy by the title, unfortunately the movie isn’t as fantasy driven as I had hoped nor is it a children’s movie as I had also entertained prior to watching. Really what this blog should have taught you readers by now (and certainly myself) is my idea of what a movie might be about by knowing the title alone is atrocious. But what can you do? On to the Oscars...

Beasts of the Southern Wild was nominated for four Oscars, Best director, Best Actress, writing for a previously published work and, of course, Best Film. I wouldn’t mind if any of the four awards went to Beasts but I don’t foresee a great award show for the film. I think Quvenzhané Wallis has a strong chance to upset over the other fine leading ladies and best script of previously published work is also a solid chance, but I don’t think director and best film could go to this film. Like I’ve said I don’t think any of the best nominated films (so far!) are actually bad but this doesn’t really have the extra push, to hold me forever... or even to the end of the month to be honest. Perhaps I’ve given too much away but the lasting power isn’t quite as strong as one hopes.

The movie starts with a little girl running around the bayou clearly unsupervised. We see a well-defined area connected by river boats. A society disconnected from what some may call the civilized world. We hear a story about an ancient beast called the aurochs, a beast that lived in the ancient world known to be so harsh they devour their own kind to survive. The story clearly has an impact on Hushpuppy (played by Quvenzhané Wallis) as she begins to bring these things back to life to explain things she doesn’t understand and her ultra rural life can’t explain. Beasts of the Southern Wild plays a fine line between reality and fantasy.  For the most part it is rather “real” while the aurochs and perhaps (though highly in debate) the bar of Elysian Fields and the ladies held within run along fantasy.

Parenting, good or bad you decide. 
Quvenzhané is a strong actress and whether she wins or not, she’ll always have this role as a very strong first performance. What I believe needs to be said, however, is that Dwight Henry pulls off an equally strong performance in the role of Wink, but is without accolade and that is rather unfortunate. Come to think of it, most of the cast in the movie have this edge or roughness to them that seems real, although I can’t say I’ve met anyone like that, I still feel as though the cast did a great job and the viewer gets a much greater portrayal of the main characters. I thought Wink’s devotion to his town, his people and way of life was portrayed with the strength of an award winner. Not that I have a name to exclude from the list of nominated male leads or supporting but it is a shame he wasn’t nominated none the less.

On one hand, it does have some strong characters portrayed by two very good and new actors, both feel very genuine and Dwight Henry is especially rough around the edges in a way that feels right for his character. The beasts are fantastic in the purest form of the definition and added some spice to the movie. Though that is a two-sided comment, the fine line between the reality and fantasy is muddled and you may be left unable to explain what some of the fantasies represented or, in one case, if they were even fantasies at all. Hushpuppy’s strength and determination shine through this movie even in the darker scenes, and the final sequence is quite touching. It certainly left this reviewer mildly taken aback. I had wished for a little epilogue to the story, though, as Hushpuppy’s future would be rather interesting to hear.

I give it a 7/10

PS: Wink describing his wife was brilliant; I’d love to find someone who fits that description.

1 comment: